Saturday, January 17, 2009

Only a Rose . . .

I love to garden. Gardening is good for my soul, my mind, my heart and my body. As I headed into my garage after a full day of running errands today, my garden called me. I had to see if my newly planted trees needed a drink of water. The roses captured my attention. So I stopped to smell the roses. I ended up trimming the rosebush and picking a few blossoms to place around my home. They graced our table tonight while Vincent and I had dinner. I have another vase of them near me here in my living room as well.

Rose bushes like to be trimmed. I was taught to cut the blossom just above the first set of 5 leaves. It is said to promote healthy growth and more blossoms. It's also important to dead head rose bushes. Dead heading is not related to the Grateful Dead in this case. It means that one should take off the dead blossoms or the rosehips.

It's a similar concept to removing the dead wood or that which is no longer useful. By removing the dead flowers or branches allows for the energy of the plant to go to new growth and creating new blossoms. Likewise, use this gardening tip for your life. Remove what is no longer working or draining of energy so that the new may bloom in your life. There are numerous analogies relating to gardening literally that are lessons in spiritual and personal growth.

A good example of this is the story, The Secret Garden, which is one of my favorite children's novels. Actually it's a novel or story for all ages. This novel has been made into a movie - more than once. The story of The Secret Garden was the inspiration for the name of my store, The Crystal Garden. I wanted to create a place where people could go to heal, to feel safe and to have a magical experience. Take the time to read this book and then visit The Crystal Garden. You'll pick up on the analogy.



It's glorious weather here in South Florida today. I think our high was 71 degrees and sunny. Paradise does exist. If you ever want to have a spiritual vacation, come to Boynton Beach to go to the beach, enjoy the glorious weather and attend all types of classes at The Crystal Garden.

Sending you roses and sunshine,

Margaret

No comments: